Home of the Emperors Archangels. The Fallen have come
home....



Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Basing contest and more......

Well I won world choice in the basing contest with my Belial base. I was really proud of that base and I'm super proud of it now. Thanks to everyone who voted for me. Looking back now I wish I had made a tutorial. But I can easily redo it I think. It was pretty easy actually.
components were:
-Terminator base (the mid range circle)
-3 popsicle sticks
-Glue
-1 LOTR ancient statue terrain piece.
-1 Set of angel wings (thanks battlewagon bits for selling 4 packs)
-1 DA veterans sprue (the large sword was used to make the sword in the statues hand.
-PAINT- black primer/painted with chaos black/painted with a 75/25 chaos black codex gray/drybrush codex gray hard drybrush/medium drygrush 50/50 codex gray and fortress grey/light dry brush fortress gray/Pick out the highlights 50/50 fortress and skull white./skull white for the extreme tips
-Green tinted glass-yes glass thats what I use.
.
Take the popsicle sticks and lay em side by side touching. lay the base on top. trace the outline of the base on the sticks. Cut out the outline. Dont worry if the sticks splinter or break some that just makes for more textured/older stones. Once the sticks are cut, find points on each piece that you want to seperate to make individual stones. Then cute them apart. next glue them leaving some space between em depending on whats happening to the ground. I left some large spaces here and there for the crystal(glass) shards to be shooting up out of the earth. Let it dry. then prime it black. Once thats done take your statue and glue the wings on the back of it midway between the neck and lower back. Let that dry, then prime it. Once both pieces are primed begin your paint and highlights. Once the statue and base are done glue the statue to the base. Make sure you leave some room for your figure as the statue is pretty big. Let the two pieces set. Now you've pretty much got it. I then went in and painted the cracks between the stones green with snot green in the middle. Then I put in the glass shards. The green helps so when you look down at it it doesnt just look black. Lastly I went back and repainted the side of the base black covering up paint excess. This last step is optional but you can do it if you want. I put a magnet under the base and then magnetized Belials feet. This way he can be removed and the base and Belial can be transported safely.
.
That's it I'll try and do a redo and picture it so I can post a photo how to but its really pretty simple and it makes for a nice base. I wanted it to be the DA icon that you usually see the Angel watching over them with sword in hand.
.
Here is a pic of the base without Belial and then the a few with.
(notice the dark green shard on the base in the rear. I pulled it and put a clear one on later as it didnt really work with the other pieces.)


THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR ME. ALSO CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO ENTERED. IT TAKES ALOT TO PUT YOUR WORK OUT THERE TO BE CRITIQUED. YOU ALL DID GREAT JOBS I WISH WE COULD HAVE ALL WON.
.
.
And the last note of the post is. Well I broke my no buy resolution and hit EBAY, and well lets just say it's not a huge army yet but The bugs are coming. A few more pieces arrived today with several others coming in the mail....Expect to hear more later as they will be sidelined for some time because I'm prepping for the Tennessee RT.
Thanks again all.....
-END-

3 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Quality base for show and i love the idea of removable character, i might just pinch that...

jabberjabber said...

Congratulations, Matt! Well deserved.

Bugs are coming?!

Admiral Drax said...

Congrats, Matt - a well deserved win.

 
cool hit counters
download an html hit counter